Here is a work in progress render of a steampunk galleon that I'm putting together. The chains are controlled by rigid bodies / spring constraints / nail constrains and control clusters. It's rendered using mental ray / Vue Xstream. It's a simple fly by 'Star Destroyer style' that hopefully I'll be rendering out tomorrow evening. Currently I'm painting the textures and they should be done by this evening.

Also I had a superb lecture on A.I last week one of the upshots of which is that the source code for the Eliza A.I (circa 1970s 80s?) is freely available to play with and only takes up about 3 pages in basic. It's actually a bit of a con (as a lot of A.I is) as it works (that is it is capable of passing the Turing Test in certain circumstances) by simulating an encounter with a Rogerian Psychoanalyst so it simply turns your questions back on you which can deceive you into thinking you are having a more 'human' or 'meaningful' conversation than you are. Anyhow the lecture went into some depth and was quite interesting so hopefully I'll be able to make a more detailed post with references and arguments later.

Hey Tom! You've been in my thoughts recently - I wanted to show one of the new first year your minor/major animations - is there a link someplace to the films I can pass on? Also, I know you're busy with Rogerian Psychoanalysis etc! but I was wondering if you'd be willing to contribute a short 'update' for the CGAA group blog? I'm always wanting graduates to talk about their post-grad adventures - could you email me - pgomm@ucreative.ac.uk - something aspirational and upbeat? Much appreciated :-)
ReplyDeleteHey Phil,
ReplyDeleteHmmmm I have those pieces on my external here so I can zip them and send them to you via sendspace.com later on this evening (just got in from a brisk walk in the rain through the dark streets of Edinburgh.) Also I'd love to contribute an update! I'll include some advice about options after graduating too i.e. getting in touch with the enterprise link and getting the most out of placements etc. I'm on the case...Oh yeah do mention that people can contact me directly too if they want advice or to share ideas etc.
Hey Phil,
ReplyDeleteSorry I haven't replied to you via email yet! I've actually unplugged my network cable to save some extra computing power...I'm in the Atrium at the moment rushing around but I should be able to zip and send my minor and major as well as respond to your request for my 'what I did next' story + advice etc on Sunday.....