Hi Tom, great image... reminds me of the more recent episodes of the Star Wars saga, stylistically. One quick question, if you don't mind, what agencies have you used? My experience of the couple I have used have been a bit naff, to say the least.
Hi Simon, thanks very much and to Phil too; these gnomon tutorials aren't half bad, like following along to Blue Peter and making Tracy Island then going ahead and customising and re-applying the learning.
Actually I tried agencies for a while but they were mostly useless, I actually managed to get my job through attending the business first grad scheme which hooked grads up to relevant companies partaking in the scheme (they underwrote the risk of taking on a grad by supplementing the grad's income with a bursary therefore helping the grad and the company through the recession.) After going through the process for a long time I've got to say that I've just able cobbled together four sensible strategies to getting the cg job you're after: 1) make friends with the higher echelons of the Uni if possible i.e. the MBA people (new flagship course - creative industries management) if you have the opportunity to pop in again - I think to be accepted onto the MBA you have to have business experience probably in the creative industries so once they leave they'll likely be going back in and will be able to provide you with contacts. 2) See what grad schemes the enterprise section of the Uni is offering and how to take part. 3) MAKE opportunities by coming to people with deals 'I've noticed you're working on this game company X I'm happy to come up with some concepts around the idea' etc 4) Remember that ultimately even HR are people too so try and be as none generic, full of character and pro-active as possible - *think for them* they are super busy so guide their thinking in your favour as they scan down the email so with minimal effort they can get a lot back just by saying 'sure' then build the convo, earn their trust, it might not be a one email thing.
Hope this helps Simon, oh also check out the small companies that you wouldn't think need CG or are just on the cusp of CG to whom it is a bit of a novelty and you might find some jobs oh and SMEs - real small companies, you can probably run a check on businesses local to you, it doesn't have to be Hollywood right away.
- Tom
Also, man, I really want to be able to do some graphic novel work some day as we discussed but I think it's a case of getting ducks in a row first - but I will be back down South soon so I hope to see many people again and get a few projects going.
eye-candy! :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Tom, great image... reminds me of the more recent episodes of the Star Wars saga, stylistically. One quick question, if you don't mind, what agencies have you used? My experience of the couple I have used have been a bit naff, to say the least.
ReplyDeleteHi Simon, thanks very much and to Phil too; these gnomon tutorials aren't half bad, like following along to Blue Peter and making Tracy Island then going ahead and customising and re-applying the learning.
ReplyDeleteActually I tried agencies for a while but they were mostly useless, I actually managed to get my job through attending the business first grad scheme which hooked grads up to relevant companies partaking in the scheme (they underwrote the risk of taking on a grad by supplementing the grad's income with a bursary therefore helping the grad and the company through the recession.) After going through the process for a long time I've got to say that I've just able cobbled together four sensible strategies to getting the cg job you're after: 1) make friends with the higher echelons of the Uni if possible i.e. the MBA people (new flagship course - creative industries management) if you have the opportunity to pop in again - I think to be accepted onto the MBA you have to have business experience probably in the creative industries so once they leave they'll likely be going back in and will be able to provide you with contacts. 2) See what grad schemes the enterprise section of the Uni is offering and how to take part. 3) MAKE opportunities by coming to people with deals 'I've noticed you're working on this game company X I'm happy to come up with some concepts around the idea' etc 4) Remember that ultimately even HR are people too so try and be as none generic, full of character and pro-active as possible - *think for them* they are super busy so guide their thinking in your favour as they scan down the email so with minimal effort they can get a lot back just by saying 'sure' then build the convo, earn their trust, it might not be a one email thing.
I know the last two might seem like the usual patronising clichés but I saw an email a friend of mine was writing to a company and it was phrased exactly how I was phrasing mine when I thought I was being 'Mr Hire Me Smart Guy.' It was actually a bit disgusting. Also I managed to hammer out a deal / establish a rapport with this company over months, no kidding, months and I was lucky that we got on very well at the meeting.
Hope this helps Simon, oh also check out the small companies that you wouldn't think need CG or are just on the cusp of CG to whom it is a bit of a novelty and you might find some jobs oh and SMEs - real small companies, you can probably run a check on businesses local to you, it doesn't have to be Hollywood right away.
- Tom
Also, man, I really want to be able to do some graphic novel work some day as we discussed but I think it's a case of getting ducks in a row first - but I will be back down South soon so I hope to see many people again and get a few projects going.